[Dixielandjazz] Youth Band Gigs - They don't gig for money?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 5 15:59:56 PST 2005

>From the American Rag, February 2005 - Right under List mate Bill Gunter's
Column on page 24:

"Texas School Band Taps eBay to Raise Funds."

"Candy bar sales may be a thing of the past for Texas Bowie High School
marching band. Last month the ensemble raised $5300 on eBay to help fund a
trip to the upcoming Fiesta Bowl. Dwight Hartley of nearby Austin bid $5300
for a 2 hour performance by the band. He told local reporters, 'It was a
novel idea. Anybody that is smart enough to figure that out deserves our
help. They won my heart with what they were trying to do.' Another couple
were outbid by just $100. Details for the performance were still being
worked out as this issue went to press."

Damn, and I always thought Texans were a little slow. Hey Russ, forget the
car washes. Advise them left coast kids to use eBay and get their own paying
gigs, while we grown folks sit around and debate the issue. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Want to take bets on whether or not those Texans booked the couple who
came in second in the bidding too? Hook Em Horns.