[Dixielandjazz] Youth Band Festivals ASTA / IAJE- Kid Players -Pipa

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sat Mar 5 11:31:28 PST 2005

No one does nothing for free.  All festivals are paid events.  As a matter
of fact I am leaving for the Missouri district festival when I push the
button to send this.  I have worked as an adjudicator as well as on the
other end as a band director.  There is always an entry fee.  Usually not
much but there is a fee.  The adjudicators are paid a minimum of $50 and
goes to about $100 for all day.  If you think that's too much then try it.
You end up with terminal writers cramp and half the people (including
directors) hate you and can become abusive and the other half love you.

The only Jazz festival that I ever had anything to do with was when I was in
the AF and we would do Jazz festivals entirely free.  We provided all the
awards, adjudicators, as well as the people to do the leg work.  We had
sponsors that did provide some funds for expenses.

If you have a military band nearby (regular or Rational Guard) approach them
with the idea.  They just might do it for you.  It's a feather in their caps
and they will do recruiting of musicians for their band programs so try
that.  But unfortunately that's the only free lunch that I know of.