[Dixielandjazz] OKOM on the Internet

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Sat Mar 5 09:43:02 PST 2005

Each Saturday and Sunday morning at 9 AM Pacific Time, the local public
radio station in the Portland, OR area broadcasts "The Traditional Jazz
Show" hosted by Bill Fetsch, aka Dr. Jazz. Bill plays a nice variety of
music. As I write this I'm listening to selections from a compilation of
Duke Ellington recordings from the late 1920s. If you're in the local
area, you can catch KMHD at FM 89.1, or listen to streaming audio from
www.kmhd.org. Once you arrive at the home page, click the "Listen" button
in the top menu bar. You'll need either Windows Media Player or Real
Player (but can download them from the page if they're not already
installed).

The show runs 9-11 on Saturday, followed by Marian McPartland's "Piano
Jazz." On Sunday, the show plays 9-10, followed by a four-hour show of
straight-ahead jazz featuring a lot of big-band stuff. This show is hosted
by Art Abrams, a local guy who's a former trumpet player with Kenton (I
think) and now leads his own local 17-piece group.

Enjoy!

--Dick Miller