[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Youth Band Festival - CONTRTIBUTIONS FOR?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Mar 4 14:58:16 PST 2005

Steve,

This festival is done exactly as other high-school, Jr. High and college
festivals are done.  There is always an entrance fee.  There are lots of
costs involved including paying the judges, clinicians,
adjudicators, etc.  They do not do the other festivals for free and there is
no reason why we should expect them to do it for free at our festival.

This is not taking a band out into the schools, as we have done many, many
times since long before you have been doing it.  It is not the awarding of
music scholarships as we have done every
year since 1979.
It is not our yearly week long Youth Jazz Camp we have done every year since
1986.  And this is not our STJS sponsored youth band The New Traditionalists
which we have financially supported since 1989.  This is an accredited
school music festival.

Below is the original press release that I sent out a couple weeks ago.

For more information, I suggest you go to the STJS site, www.sacjazz.org .

-----

Plans are coming along nicely for the first annual Trad Jazz Youth Band
Festival co-sponsored by the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society and Cal
State University Sacramento (CSUS) Jazz Studies to be held on Saturday,
February 11, 2006 at CSUS.

The festival will operate just like the band festivals that school bands are
already accustomed to participating in.  It will have judges, clinicians,
adjudicators, etc.  As far as we know, this will be the first festival of
its type to be
featuring Traditional/Dixieland Jazz.
 The Festival is set in Feb. of 2006 to give teachers and bands an
opportunity to prepare.

Watch DJML or "And All That Jazz," the newsletter of the Sacramento
Traditional Jazz Society, for more details as they develop.

You may also find information about this first annual Trad Jazz Youth Band
Festival at
http://www.sacjazz.org/youthfestival/
or contact Yvonne Au:
yvonnea1 at surewest.net
 (916) 481-5403.

Please pass this information along to any youth bands, music teachers,
schools, or anyone else who might be interested in participating.