[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Youth Band Festival - CONTRTIBUTION S FOR?

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Fri Mar 4 12:55:59 PST 2005

Steve et al:

This is intended to be an academic, adjudicated event with judges and
clinicians, sanctioned by the International Association of Jazz Educators
(IAJE).  Schools are accustomed to paying to participate in these
"competitions" to offset their costs.  Ideally, yes, we would like to be
able to have the entire event sponsored, and hope to be able to do so if we
are successful.

Paying the kids is out of the question.  This is not a performance event, it
is a competitive event.  Offering the kids money would come off as extremely
distasteful and simply is not done, and is NOT the way to get schools to
become involved.

Our intention is to make this event look like the kind of "festival" school
band programs are used to, in an effort to legitimize traditional jazz as
worthy of being taught in the public schools here.

This is only one of a number of things our education programs are attempting
to do, including funding private lessons, running and awarding scholarships
to jazz camps (our traditional jazz camp is second to none -
http://www.sacjazz.org/camp/), encouraging kids to put bands together and
perform at our monthly meetings, and, YES, even getting 9-year-old Jonathan
Russell out here to perform.  I think Mr. Ringwald will be very happy to
read your offer.

We don't have Steve Barbone in Sacramento, so we do the best we can :-> VBG.

Bob Williams
Trombonist Extraordinaire and
The Worlds's Most Modest Man
mailto:slushpump1 at comcast.net