[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in California--why?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Mar 1 15:53:07 PST 2005

Just curious, listmates-- there seems to be much more Dixieland jazz
activity--bands, jazz assoications, etc.-- in California than elsewhere
in the U.S.  I'm judging (guessing) this from what I see on the
postings, so my impression that there's more in California might be
wrong. If I'm right, what's the reason?--the longterm legacy of Lu,
Turk, et al? Something in the culture or lifestyle that disposes West
Coasters towards OKOM? Sheer population and landspread rather than
anything else? (e.g., per squyare mile, there might be more in Vermont)
Any ideas?--Charlie Suhor