[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 30, Issue 82

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 22:26:12 PDT 2005

on 6/30/05 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com at
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com wrote:

Lily Korte: Tramette89 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> It is a similar scenario with many commercial fake books, they contain
> boring and sometimes downright wrong changes.
> I know how that is, I've experienced it firsthand a number of times. I was
> trying to find music, or at least the chords, to "After You've Gone" (a rather
> popular song). I found a version of it in a book at the library and made a
> copy. I went home and played it and discovered that there were some wrong
> chords
> in it. I then found a different version of it...and that one had wrong chords,
> but in different places. I found a lead sheet, but that had some bizarre
> chords too(it's like they were trying to turn it into bebop or something).
> Someday,
> I'm going to take the four versions I have and synthesize them into one
> version with the correct chord progression.

Dear Lily & list mates:

No need to mix and match on "After You've Gone". For the standard chords to
this and many other OKOM tunes, you might buy Sheik's Fake Book(s).

"Sheik" is list mate David Littlefield who upon reading this, I hope will
post a list of what he has available.

I have his basic fake book for Dixieland Standards which I use from time to
time with subs in the band and find it to be among the very best out there
for both lead sheet readability and correct chords.

But then what are "correct" chords? Some folks notate similar chords
differently. Yet they sound so alike that either one will work quite well.
;-) VBG.

Or, if in a pinch ask me for chord changes off list. I can supply both verse
and chorus chords to about 1200 OKOM songs. I prefer not to in most
situations where they are available elsewhere, but would be happy to supply
them in a pinch. They are accurate, but not always in the correct key. (no
lead sheets)

I agree with you about boring changes. Most of those are found in boring
obscure tunes that were not popular the first time around. :-) VBG.

But overall, your experience in the above snip is why I am a booster of
buying the sheet music from a music store. Chances are those chords will be
closer to what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS e.g. What I believe to be the "correct" chords to "After You've Gone" in
Ab are as follows: (transcribed from original sheet music) No doubt there
will be disagreement from other musicians.

VERSE 16 measures)
Ab-Ebdim / Bbm-Eb7 / Ab-Ebdim / Bbm-Eb7
C7 / Fm / Bb7 / Eb7
Ab-Ebdim / Bbm-Eb7/ C7 / Fm-Ab7