[Dixielandjazz] MILITARY BANDS AND OKOM

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 11:07:39 PDT 2005

Interesting thread.

I think we must take into account that New Orleans (and the rest of the USA)
saw the formation of a plethora of Marching Brass Bands shortly after the
end of the Civil War in 1865. Both White and Black.

Early N.O. History even notes Brass Bands before the Civil War.

Some brass band names prior to the Spanish American War are: "Louisiana
Slave Troupe and Brass Band", "Smallwoods Great Contraband Minstrels Brass
Band". "Billy Kersand's Minstrel Band", "Eclipse", etc., etc.., etc.

There is also an account of Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore (band leader and
cornetist of some fame) presenting a Grand Concert in Lafayette Square where
some 500 brass players from New Orleans joined him in a gigantic brass band
jam.

If these are to be believed, the Spanish American War influence via lots of
extra instruments and blacks suddenly learning how to play them is
overstated by historian Bob Thomas.

I agree with Larry Walton that the Spanish American Military Bands were few
and that brass instruments were already in the hands of Black jazz pioneers
before the Maine blew up.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone