Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Military bands and OKOM

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Jun 30 09:02:56 PDT 2005

It doesn't take much listening to Dixieland to see the similarities between
Military bands of the 1800's and Dixieland.  If you listen to Sousa you have
a Trumpet melody line, clarinets doing flowery things above the melody line
adding flash, trombone counter melody's and street beats with a tuba line
that is almost exactly the same as Sousa.  True, Sousa was a written idiom
and Dixie was not but the similarities are striking.  The only thing that
Sousa didn't have was Improv choruses and a blues chordal structure.  I
don't think you have to have it in writing by some scholar to see the
connection.
Larry -- St. Louis