[Dixielandjazz] Military bands and OKOM

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Jun 29 08:28:12 PDT 2005

Luis,

  Two main points of direct influence on jazz I can think of right away
would be the availability of cheap Army surplus band instruments in the
late 1800s and early 1900s  (this is not exactly proven history but I
do see references ) and James Reese Europe's WW1 military band.

I found a few interesting websites for further research:
http://www.enbreve.com/art10tp.html
http://www.marchingarts.com/links/Marching_Band/Military/
http://www.robotwisdom.com/jorn/jazz.html
http://www.jass.com/Others/europe.html
http://northbysouth.kenyon.edu/1998/music/marches/marches.htm

If I had time to write an essay I would do it but I don't think that
would be very soon!

Dave Richoux