[Dixielandjazz] We solved the problem! Music?

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Jun 27 12:32:32 PDT 2005

There is an important OKOM content to this thread! If there had not
been military bands of double-reed horns and drums in the Turkish
armies invading Europe in the 1700s then the tradition of having
military brass (and pipe) bands in "Western" culture would have been
very different.  If military brass bands were not as they developed
there probably would have been much fewer civilian brass bands and
hence the development of jazz as we know it would not have happened.
(maybe something more like Blues/Rap or Afro-Cuban styles would have
prevailed in the absence of Jazz?)

Just a theory, but I have heard it from more than one music historian...

Dave Richoux

some interesting links  proving and/or disproving the theory:
http://www.turkishmusic.org/index6.html
  http://www.turkishmusic.org/cgi-bin/d?index.html
http://www.historicbrass.org/
http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/mil/html/
mh_035800_musicmartial.htm
and my favorite:  http://www.franklondon.com/brotherhood.html

BTW, Tom - I would be interested in hearing that tape ;-)