[Dixielandjazz] Beneke & Klink sax solo - In The Mood

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 06:59:03 PDT 2005

on 6/25/05 9:45 AM, Henry Mason at hcmsjo at gmail.com wrote:

> On 6/24/05, Steve barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> IMO, Klink and Beneke would have to be the world's biggest squares to keep
>> repeating that same solo over and over again at each performance. ;-) VBG.

> Steve,
>
> As you might remember.......(oops)  There was a period during the
> "Pain in the ASCAP" years when the ASCAP tunes were banned from
> boadcasts.   Of course the soloists would creatively put quotes from
> ASCAP tunes into solos, thus getting the leader into hot water.    A
> lot of the leaders told the jazz guys to use the same solos in self
> defense, which is probably why "String of Pearls"   ITFM  (In the
> Freaking Mood) and others have intitutionalized solos.
>
> On "High Socieity  "  I have always enjoyed the many ways that
> clarinetists will work Piccou into the tune.  I once requested it at
> the Landing just to hear what Evan Christopher would do with it and
> really enjoyed his version.    I kind of like the tradition.

Ha Ha, yes, I remember those days, Henry. I too enjoy playing High Society,
pretty much honoring Picou through the first of 3 chorus's. Then I work some
of the other things I have learned into it.

Evan is a wonderful player and his version should be revered every bit as
well as Picou's.

Regarding Glenn Miller, I also remember things that we never heard said on
the band bus . . . like:

"Wow!! Playing these great Glenn Miller arrangements right out of his book
night after night is really exciting."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone