[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hoagy Carmichael

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 24 22:23:49 PDT 2005

> If you like early jazz and the music of Hoagy Carmichael, JSP has a wonderful
box set of 4 CD's "Hoagy Carmichael - The first of the Singer Songwriters".<

Dear Stan,
You're talking my music now.
Although I do not have the JSP 'Hoagy' 4-CD set, I do have the first 2 CDs
which were issued singly by JSP in the 90s. I have most, if not all, the
sides on the other 2 CDs in the set, but spread over different CDs and LPs
in my collection.
Unfortunately, I can't locate in my files the name of the arranger for the
Irving Mills and His Hotsy-Totsy Gang 20 Sept 1929 version of "Stardust".
It has probably never been documented.
Richard Sudhalter in his notes to my JSP CD mentions that, at this time,
Hoagy was being tutored in arranging by Pink Porter and was making his own
arrangements "- after a fashion". Perhaps Mr Sudhalter expands in this in
'Stardust Melody', his recent (2002) book about Hoagy. Which I have yet to
buy.
However, the clt soloist on this 20 Sept 1929 "Stardust" is Arnold Brilhart.
Dorsey solos on clt for "Harvey" and it is Pee Wee's distinctive clt on
"March of The Hoodlums", also from the session and on the CD.
I am afraid that researchers have not yet been able to establish the
personnel for the Mill's Merry Makers' version of "Stardust".
Maybe, one day, someone will find, and make a connection, with the other
records made for Cameo that day. Which is what jazz discography is all
about.
Kind regards,
Bill.