[Dixielandjazz] Re: Beneke & Klink Sax Solo

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Fri Jun 24 19:51:58 PDT 2005

Dear Listers:

I once read a biography of Glenn Miller which was published in the mid to
late 1970s.  According to this book, the sax battle between Tex Benecke and
Al Klink was written out, and hardly varied frrom night to night.  In the
Miller reed scheme, the clarinet and lead tenor played the melody in unison,
with the other tenor and the sltos playing harmony, and getting all of the
solos.

Klink wanted to play solos, but was stuck firmly in the lead chair his
entire tenure with Miller.  To him, the In the Mood sax battle was just
another lead passage to play.  If I recall correctly, Klink became a studio
player when the Big Band Era ended, and then became a music professor.  When
contacted by the book's author, he had few fond memories of his Miller days.

I don't doubt that the sax battle varied somewhat on different recordings,
but at its heart In The Mood is pop, not jazz.  You might make something out
of it, but it is not an especially good solo vehicle.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard