[Dixielandjazz] Re: "In the Mood"--lyrics?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Jun 23 18:27:51 PDT 2005

Further help will be much welcomed. What's here is interesting, esp.
because the 2nd verse below seems to call for male vocalist(s)
responding to the female 1st verse, so I wonder how the Andrews Sisters
could pull that off without some kind of team-up, e.g., Crosby, who did
some things with them. And it seems that the "hep, hep, hep" interlude
is an innovation that doesn't fit with the Miller version at all.
Bill's earlier posting (re-posted below for comparison) didn't include
the interlude to In the Mood, Dude. Aargh! Stop me before I rhyme
again!

Charlie

On Jun 23, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Dear Charles and Charlie,
> The plot thickens!!!
> The words for "In The Mood", posted by me yesterday, match exactly
> those on
> an Andrews Sisters LP I have, which (based on the backing band) is
> probably
> a 1950s reprise of their 1940s hit.
> However, I have also found the following, so you (and others) aren't
> really
> going mad.
> I have only posted the lyrics below as an interim measure to put you
> out of
> your  misery.
> 8>).
> Now all I have to do is locate dates and other details.
> As THAT man said: "I'll be baaack."
> Kind regards,
> Bill.
>
> ARTIST: The Andrews Sisters
> TITLE: In the Mood
>
> Mr. What-ya-call-em what you doin' tonight
> Hope you're in the mood because I'm feeling just right
> How's about a corner with a table for two
> Where the music's mellow in some gay rendezvous
> There's no chance romancin' with a blue attitude
> You got to do some dancin' to get in the mood
>
> Sister What-ya-call-em that's a kindly idea
> Something swing-a-dilla would be good to my ear
> Ev'rybody must agree the dancin' has charm
> When you have the certain one you love in your arms
> Steppin' out with you will be a sweet interlude
> A builder-up with that will put me in the mood
>
> In the mood - that's it I got it
> In the mood - your ear will spot it
> In the mood - oh, what a hot hit
> Be alive and get the jive
> You've got to learn how
>
> Hep, hep, hep - hep like a hepper
> Pep, pep, pep - hot as a pepper
> Step, step, step - step like a stepper
> We're muggin' and huggin'
> We're in the mood now
>
> Mr. What-ya-call-em all you needed was fun
> You can see the wonders that this evenin' has done
> Your feet were so heavy 'til they hardly could move
> Now they're light as feathers and you're right in the groove
> You were only hungry for some musical food
> You're positively, absolutely in the mood
>
> Sister What-ya-call-em I'm indebted to you
> It all goes to show what good influence can do
> Never felt so happy and so fully alive
> Seems that jammin' jumpin' is a powerful jive
> Swingeroo is giving me a new attitude
> My heart is full of rhythm and I'm in the mood
>
> In the mood that's it 'cause I got it and I'm
> In the mood your ear will spot it when you're
> In the mood bobbity bop a diddly-bop-a-bop-a
> Be alive and get the jive
> You've got to learn how
>
> Hep, hep, hep, you're hep like a hepper full of
> Pep, pep, pep, you're hot as a pepper and you
> Step, step, step, step step like a stepper
> We're muggin' and now we're huggin'
> 'Cause we're in the mood

Earlier version posted--

"In The Mood". (1939. Andy Razaf-Joe Garland)

Who's the lovin' daddy with the beautiful eyes
What a pair o' lips, I'd like to try 'em for size
I'll just tell him, "Baby, won't you swing it with me"
Hope he tells me maybe, what a wing it will be
So, I said politely "Darlin' may I intrude"
He said "Don't keep me waitin' when I'm in the mood"

First I held him lightly and we started to dance
Then I held him tightly what a dreamy romance
And I said "Hey, baby, it's a quarter to three
There's a mess of moonlight, won't-cha share it with me"
"Well" he answered "Baby, don't-cha know that it's rude
To keep my two lips waitin' when they're in the mood"

In the mood, that's what he told me
In the mood, and when he told me
In the mood, my heart was skippin'
It didn't take me long to say "I'm in the mood now"

In the mood for all his kissin'
In the mood his crazy lovin'
In the mood what I was missin'
It didn't take me long to say "I'm in the mood now"