[Dixielandjazz] Survival Of the Fittest (Was: "In the Mood Sax Solo")

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 15:31:41 PDT 2005

Bill;

I thought about Benny. But he didn't survive with a band as did the others.
He put together a band or a small group from time to time to meet a
particular engagement. I looked at the big bands as having a relatively
continuing existence and disregarded the occasional disbandment of Woody
Herman and Count Basie as merely hiccups in the timeline of their bands. I
probably should have added Stan Kenton considering that his band went from
1940 until his death and maybe even Tommy Dorsey as well.

Cab Calloway, Earl Hines, Artie Shaw, Charlie Barnet, Jimmy Dorsey and the
other big bands all went out of existence by 1950-51. Jimmie Lunceford died
to early to have made my list. I didn't consider the hotel and the sweet
bands like Guy Lombardo, Anson Weeks, etc..

Regards;

Stan
Stan Brager