[Dixielandjazz] Re: "In the Mood Sax Solo"

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 12:46:39 PDT 2005

Steve;

Most of the swing bands which I've seen in my lifetime have found ways to
accommodate those who want to hear the "old favorites" as well as the
musicians in the band who are looking for the challenge and the joy of
playing something new. Their methods generally include a period in which
they may play 10 - 15 minutes of the "old favorites" in an hour. The rest of
the consists of newer items in the band's book. Other leaders will throw in
an old favorite every so often - sometimes it's markedly shorter than the
band's original recording. Still others will play a medley of the old
favorites.

Some leaders, like Duke Ellington, will rearrange the old favorites.

Whatever method or methods which are chosen, these compromises are necessary
for a band which has made it's mark playing to the average listener who
looks at the band's music as part of their popular culture.

Artie Shaw had his own way of dealing with the problem as you and others
have pointed out. However, I doubt that Shaw would have stayed with music as
he so stated in the Sudhalter interview. He would have tired of having to
appear in public as a performer playing the same clarinet night after night.
And he knew that he wasn't enough of a jazzman to compete on that basis
alone.

The only jazz leaders to truly survive were Count Basie, Duke Ellington,
Woody Herman, and to a lesser extent, Harry James.

Stan
Stan Brager