[Dixielandjazz] Re: "In the Mood Sax Solo"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 22 21:22:37 PDT 2005

Dear Phil,
Here are some chronological facts regarding the evolution of the ³In The
Mood² riff, up to the 1939 Glenn Miller version, which may answer your
question.
Or were you just stirring the pot - again?    8>)
1.  ³Tar Paper Stomp [Wingy¹s stomp]² (Joe Manone).  Rec. Barbecue Joe Hot
Dogs. 28 Aug 1930.
2.  ³Hot And Anxious² (Horace Henderson). Rec. Fletcher Henderson Orch. 19
March 1931. (The familiar ŒIn the Mood¹ riff is only used once.
3.  ³There¹s Rhythm In Harlem² (Joe Garland). Rec. Mills Blue Rhythm Band. 9
July 1935.
4.  ³In The Mood² (arr. Joe Garland). Rec. Edgar Hayes Orch. 17 Feb 1938. (I
do not have this. Who gets composer credit? Does it expand on the
now-familiar riff?)
5.  In June 1938 ³In The Mood² was copyrighted by reedman/arranger Joe
Garland.
6.  ³Jumpy Nerves² (Manone-Dale). Wingy Manone Orch. 26 April 1939.
(Pianist Jimmy Dale was a composer, ASCAP member and an arranger for music
publishers from 1929. On this version Wingy follows the 1930 ³Tar Paper
Stomp² pattern where the ŒIn The Mood¹ theme is stated twice. Maybe Wingy
was making a point by recording it again at this time. But why rename it? In
his autobiography (1948) Wingy wrote about his compositions and included the
comment: " 'Tar Paper Stomp' which was later 'In The Mood', and I got robbed
out of it."
7.  ³In The Mood² was also played and broadcast by Gene Krupa (Nov 1938) and
Artie Shaw (several times in Dec 1938).  In 1974 George Simon wrote that Joe
Garland had originally given his arrangement to Artie Shaw but that Artie
could never record it because it was longer that the usual 3 minute 20
seconds maximum for a 78 disc. I have one of the long Shaw broadcast
versions on LP. Glenn Miller rearranged the tune by cutting out the 32 bar
parts in Garland¹s arrangement and concentrating on the 12 bar riff.)
8.  ³In The Mood² (credit unknown) Van Alexander Swingtime Band. Aug 1939.
9.  In July 1939, (according to Andy Razaf in 1992) at Glenn Miller¹s
invitation Razaf provided Œlyrics¹ to ³In The Mood" which were the basis for
the Œfills¹ characteristic of Miller¹s version.)
10.  ³In The Mood² (Andy Razaf-Joe Garland). Rec. Glenn Miller Orch. 1 Aug
1939.
It therefore seems that until Ed Garland¹s arrangement, and his
naming/copywriting of ³In The Mood², earlier recordings only stated the
familiar riff briefly.
There you are. As usual much more than you probably wanted.
Wingy certainly set it in motion in 1930. Where he got the riff from from we
may never know. Probably from when he was a kid in New Orleans.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: If you think that was quicker than usual, it was.
I had already compiled most of the above some time ago, in answer to a
similar query on another list.

Further to the above "In The Mood" thread, a local mate of mine, Mike
Sutcliffe, drew my attention to a longish article by Tom Myrick in the
Summer 1991 IAJRC Journal (which I had all the time!).
Mr Myrick covers basically what I had summarised above.
However, two additional items from his article may be of interest,
* Andy Razaf's lyrics are on the published sheet music of "In The Mood"
published by Shapiro, Bernstein & Co. [Does any DJMLer have them?]
* On the Al Donahue orch version of "In The Mood" (recorded for Vocalion on
8 Nov 1939 - 4 months after the first Miller outing) vocalist Paula Kelly
sings the Razaf lyrics on record for the first time. Although Ms Kelly was
to join Glenn Miller's orch in March 1941 neither she, nor anyone else, got
to sing on a Glenn Miller version of "In The Mood".
Mr Myrick's IAJRC article also mentions that, in a 1972 interview by George
W Kay at the New Orleans Jazz Museum, Wingy Manone says [in part], "'Tar
Paper Stomp" was my tune and I didn't copyright it. That was the biggest
mistake I ever made in my life. That tune was later developed into "In The
Mood". Glenn Miller got the credit and promised to pay me but he was killed
overseas in the war."
Mr Myrick also quotes from Variety (4 Dec 1940):
   UNTANGLE 'IN THE MOOD'.
Joe Garland, also Wingy Manone, Collect In Settlement.
  Mixup over the song "In The Mood" was settled last week when its writer,
Joe Garland, was paid approximately $3,500 in back royalties and Wingy
Manone, Bandleader, received about $500 to settle his claim of infringement.
Garland is sax player and sub-leader of the Louis Armstrong Band. "In The
Mood", as recorded by Glenn Miller, is one of the records generally credited
with helping to shove that band to the top last year.
  Argument and subsequent legal troubles came about when Manone filed a
claim against Garland and the Lewis Music Co., claiming that "Mood"
infringed on his "Tar Paper Stomp". Lewis transferred its rights to the song
to Shapiro-Bernstein supposedly because it wasn't in a position to cope with
Manone's claim. Transferring the rights, however, somehow confused the
respective companies on how much was owed Garland in royalties on the tune.
He enlisted legal aid of Goldfarb,Mirenberg & Vallon to represent him.

As I always say, the information is out there, if only you know where to
look.
Regards,
Bill.