[Dixielandjazz] Re: "In the Mood Sax Solo"

Henry Mason hcmsjo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:22:37 PDT 2005

On 6/22/05, LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing
<sign.guy at charter.net> wrote:

> I agree that the tunes are boring and have little jazz quality about them.
> I think that most popular music isn't written with Jazz in mind and solos
> and jazz arrangements come later.  Pop is all about the buck and it hasn't
> changed.  Miller was no different.  If Miller had lived
> another 30 years how many times do you think he would have had to play In
> the Mood?  I think he would have grown to hate it.

I asked Woody Herman that very question about "Woodchoppers Ball"   He
said and I quote "If you had a tune that had been as good to you as
"Woodchoppers" has been to me you would play it on every gig too".
Later on, I asked Buddy Morrow the same question about "Night Train"
and got essentially the same answer.   The people who REALLY hate
night train are the sax players on the Dorsey band, because when
Morrow calls up Night Train they have to do the sax waving
choriography that goes with it.

Henry