[Dixielandjazz] Re: "In the Mood Sax Solo"

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Wed Jun 22 20:24:47 PDT 2005

I'm sure the solos may have been by two guys in this tune.  The big bands in
town have some problems with their sax sections.  There aren't a lot of guys
that can improvise well and for them the written solos can work out but then
they can't always play them very well. I have so often ripped into that solo
only to have the alto player fumble through his part which is actually
easier than the Tenor solo.  So sometimes we end up the worst of both
worlds.  I'm kind of torn with working the big bands in that they don't pay
well and the musicianship is often uneven but I do like to get the reading
practice.  My reading chops die quickly and I have to keep at it or it will
go away.

Larry
St. Louis