Other than 2/4 or 4/4 (was Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?)

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Jun 17 23:38:55 PDT 2005

I was having a conversation with a non-musician fan of all kinds of
music this afternoon. The subject of non "traditional" rhythms came up
and I had to mention my appreciation of Balkan rhythms. (For those who
might not be  aware, there is a kind of improvised brass band music
from Southern Central Europe that has blended the music of India,
Turkey,  Gypsy and Klezmer traditions into a wonderful sort of
dance/folk/jazz/whatever - it is probably not at all what most of us
would call OKOM but I think  it is somehow deep in the roots of the
total jazz spectrum.)  Most of the songs performed by these groups are
in "non-standard" rhythms but people still dance to it - 7, 9, 15, or
19 beats per measure are not unusual!

I am not trying to suggest that all OKOM bands must learn to play
outside of 2/4, 4/4, or even "radical" 3/4 rhythm - but be aware that
there are possibilities way outside of those narrow traditions!

As for Dan's ideas about incorporating Rock tunes in to the OKOM
repertoire, check out what Yank Lawson and Bob Haggart did in the 1960s
with the World's Greatest Jazz Band - all sorts of "rock" as Dixie and
some of it really worked! No reason some of the current pop tunes could
not be incorporated, but selection is tricky... ;-)

Dave Richoux