[Dixielandjazz] Jazzing the Classics

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Tue Jun 21 20:25:38 PDT 2005

Peter and the Commissar,
A Story for all ages.
Some parts of it are sensible
And others just outrageous!

My brother got that record for me when I was about 16 years old as a
Christmas present.  I wish I could remember everyone who was in the jazz
band that was used to augment the Boston Pops, but the only person I
remember was Tommy Newsom <sp?>.

In the section in question, Peter is objecting to the committee changing
"just one little note" by sharping it.  The Commissar is explaining how
they've changed other pieces of music.  Brahms' Lullaby as rock 'n' roll,
some other classical piece I forget as a bossa nova, etc., and the Grand
March from Aida as Dixieland.  And you're right.  It worked very well.

Hal Vickery