[Dixielandjazz] Re: Waltz songs.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 21 06:17:09 PDT 2005

on 6/21/05 12:35 AM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Dear Steve,
> While the DJML is still on this thread, why not repeat your Peggy Lee story
> regarding the song, "Lover"?
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Thank you for remembering that "Lover" (Db) is my favorite waltz. The story
Bill refers to is that one night in the 1960's, singer Peggy Lee was
performing in a club and composer Richard Rodgers was in the audience.

Espying him, she and the trio did her very up tempo 4/4 version of "Lover"
which he had written in 1933.

She then went over to his table and said, Mr. Rodgers, how did you like your
song?

He looked up and said reprovingly: "Peggy, I wrote it as a waltz."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone