[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lombardo - Redux

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 21 00:28:26 PDT 2005

Dear Fred,
Nothing wrong with early Lawrence Welk.
I have "Spiked Beer" and "Doin' The New Low Down" from 16/17 Nov 1928.
Quite a good hot dance band.
Steve Barbone will be interested to know that the Welk orch also recorded
(April-May 1931) that current jazz festival favourite, "My Canary Has
Circle's Under His Eyes".
8>)
I don't have the 1956 'Lawrence Welk Plays Dixieland'  (Lawrence Welk with
Pete Fountain, Peanuts Hucko, Henry Cuesta, Skeets Herfurt, Bob Havens,
etc.) but the tune titles say quite a bit:
"China Boy/Sweethearts On Parade/Blue Moods/Should I/Pete's Tail-Fly/San
Antonio Rose/Barnyard Blues/When My Sugar Walks Down The Street/'S
Wonderful/Tea 'N' Trumpets/Thou Swell/Strike Up The Band".
Kind regards,
Bill.