[Dixielandjazz] 'Alice Blue Gown' in 4/4

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jun 20 20:42:43 PDT 2005

Colin Toomer wrote:

> Hi everyone from Whangarei, Northland , New Zealand.
>
> The saxophonist in my dance's dance band used to do 'Alice Blue Gown'
> in the style of Earl Bostic.
>
> Great to play this old tune this way, but used to throw the dancers
> how to do steps to this tune. Funny to see people trying to do a waltz
> to it. So used to always knowing  it as a  waltz.
>
> Sometimes we would change rhythms in sections of a tune. eg. Going
> from rhumba into swing for a chorus, back to rhumba.
> Often some people, may be a little tipsy would complain, and say
> "can't you ...... play it just straight for once'.
>
> Talking about waltz tunes, who knows 'African Waltz' or 'The Drum Also
> Waltzs', or 'Bluesette'
>
> Thats my lot from a drummer that plays what the leader or pianist
> call', but 'wont do any tunes/songs I like, not necessary drum solo
> tunes.
>
> Love this discussion group. Everyone knows so much more than in the
> books, 'DownBeat' & other magazines.
>
> Anyone is free to email, you don't have to be a drummer.
>
> Thanks everyone for reading this message.
>
> Regards in the music business/profession,
>
> Colin Toomer ( getting to you guys age group at 59 yrs.
> drummer
> Whangarei,
> Northland, New Zealand.

This wasa recorded in the 30's by Ben Pollack bnad, which became the Gil
Rodin band, which became the Bob Crosby band.
It was a fine swing version of the waltz and stands  up very well today
when heard. My old 78 is long gone. Bet our Aussie mate
Bill H. has it in spades.
Blast from the past: Earl Bostick -- his music went well for us
youngYank blades in college in the 50's drinking Rolling Rock beer
because it was cheap.
In spite of his overly hoked up commercial phrasing, he was actually
quite  a good saxist.
Don Ingle (age group of 70+)