[Dixielandjazz] Guy Lombardp's First Band Was a Jazz Band

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sun Jun 19 08:00:15 PDT 2005

Speaking as a jazz fan (albeit a rather odd one from what people say when
they hear my taste in music), I can say that although I kind of groan
whenever I hear the Lombardo band, I still have this odd fascination with
their music.  It is very listenable at least in the sense that you always
know where the melody is.

I think that's a prejudice I inherited from my dad, although in some kind of
aberration, he also loved Hawkins' "Body and Soul."  I listen to everything
from the ODJB to Sonny Rollins, but my preference seems to be for people who
at least let you know that there is a melody that their tune is based on,
and that there is some kind of underlying chord structure.

So maybe I shouldn't be too ashamed of my "weird" fascination with
Lombardo's music.

Hal Vickery