[Dixielandjazz] NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 12:22:30 PDT 2005

Steve said,
> Anybody out there doing Billy Joel, or Bruce Springsteen, or? Seems to me
> be a hell of a way to get more audience in addition to all the other
> things
> Barbone Street does to attract the jazz oblivious

I've got no problem with new songs IF you play them in a dixieland or swing
style. The biggest problem is that a lot of recent songs lack the quality of
the great American songbook. Also many do not adapt to a 4/4 swinging
rhythm. When a jazz band starts to play with a rock beat, then it becomes
something different and you might as well ditch the brass front line and get
a set of electric guitars. Jazz has to swing for me. Agree, some Beatle
tunes swing, Michelle for example, When I'm 64 etc. But try and get the
Spice Girls repertoire to work. Give me Snake Rag or Stockyard Strut anyday.
Have a good weekend everybody.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com