[Dixielandjazz] Another thought about the Audience & Obscure Tunes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 15 11:46:24 PDT 2005

Thinking again about last night's audience.

We did not play obscure tunes. But we did play some American Songbook Tunes
by request. Want to see old folks get sentimental? Then instead of playing
the obscure crap as described by Sheik, explore the following, or tunes like
them with your Dixieland format Band.

Stardust
Tenderly
I Can't Get Started
They Can't Take That Away From Me
The Way You Look Tonight
I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
Begin the Beguine
Body & Soul
Tea For Two
Can't Help Lovin' That Man of Mine
Fascinating Rhythm
Blue Room
If I Were a Bell
Fly Me To The Moon
Etc., Etc., Etc.

There are hundreds of tunes by Gershwin, Kern, McHugh, Porter, Donaldson
Rogers, Cahn, Ellington and the others that adapt well, are beautiful and
are well known and loved by the 30,000,000 + over 60's in the USA.

Yes, some of them might be sissified Dixieland, depending upon how you play
them, but in the right place at the right time, you will get Oohs and Ahs
from your audience along with one hell of a lot of high paying gigs.

When we played Stardust last night, you should have seen the blissful faces
of the dancers and the listeners. Want a great tune intro line?

"Hey folks. This may be the first time you've had a chance to dance to
'Stardust' in the past 30 years. Don't miss it."

Then play a few rousers trying to get as close as you can to Louis and the
All Stars, or the post WW2 Condon gang. You'll blow the audience's mind.

Obscure tunes? We don't need no stinkin obscure tunes. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone