[Dixielandjazz] Headstone for Baby Dodds' gravesite

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jun 15 11:15:15 PDT 2005

Hello, listmates--

The current issue of JazzBeat magazine shows a picture of Baby Dodds’
burial place in Lincoln Cemetery, a historically black cemetery in Blue
Island, Illinois. A monument? A headstone?  No—the grave of this great
jazz pioneer is unmarked! As you know, Warren (Baby) Dodds, the brother
of clarinetist Johnny Dodds, was a (if not THE) definitive drummer in
the development of jazz in New Orleans.

Paige Van Vorst reports that a longtime jazz fan from New York named
Herb Schultz started the idea of funding a gravestone. JazzBeat is
asking for contributions to the Baby Dodds Headstone Fund (c/o JazzBeat
Magazine, 1206 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70116. I’ve sent a
modest contribution, and I urge others to do so.

Charlie Suhor