[Dixielandjazz] OKOM??

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 20:46:50 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, June 14, 2005, at 06:36 PM, TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote:

> I think the music is not being taught so much anymore as to just
> being thrown
> at the kids and maybe some of it will stick on one or two of them
> and they go
> on to play music someday.  In the meantime the teacher gets his/her
> paycheck
> as a teacher and continues to dream about going on the road and being a
> touring professional musician one day all the while trying to
> inspire some kids to
> do what most of them have never done or ever will do, and life goes
> on and on
> and on in a viscous circle of mundane lackadaisical efforts at
> turning out any
> real future legends.

Wow! T Cash!  Even for you that is quite a rant!  I gotta ask: Do you
actually know personally any of these "mundane lackadaisical" music
teachers?  Or are you just blowing smoke like I think you are?  You
can sit in a room with a computer in your lap and make charges that
do what-- sound profound?  And who, of these slandered people, can
defend themselves?

Certainly not my wife, a music teacher of high quality who, on the
other hand, says about your letter: "Charlie, tell him he's not
completely wrong: there are plenty of God-awful teachers out there."
She says, "I've  got this terrific rep as a band director mostly
because the others are so damn wretched!"

So maybe I'm not all that mad at you after all...

Always fun to yell at you, old Rev.!  Actually, I respect you a lot
more than you (probably) deserve: but, what the hell: you're a Texan!

Charlie
in Chicago