[Dixielandjazz] Help! What IS "sissified jazz"?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jun 14 10:28:06 PDT 2005

Help! Other than "obscure tunes," which is about repertoire rather than
the way the music is played, and the vague phrase about overly
intellectual jazz, I don't know what folks are talking about with
"sissified" jazz. Can someone pin this down a little by describing the
music, and maybe (without hurting anyone's feelings) give an an example
or two?

BTW, similar language was used in modern jazz criticism. Early Brubeck
and much or the West Coast 50s modern jazz had the rep of being
"ladies' jazz" (sexist as well as insulting to Brubeck) and too
intellectual to be swinging, a rap that lasted a long time. The Kenton
Band and Tristano-Konitz school were never called lightweight but were
seen by some as pretentious or too cerebral. Interestingly, Miles was
an admirer of Konitz and has a truly great session with him that was
part of the album "Conception." To the credit of the critics (including
some musicians), they often  defined the musical qualities that they
objected to, and many later recanted.

Charlie Suhor