[Dixielandjazz] Original ideas

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 00:42:13 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/13/2005 12:01:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

Indeed.  And my brother says (he got it from somewhere else) that basically
everyone  just has one original idea (and some less than that) and they keep
repeating  themselves with variations. The more I think about it, the more right
I think  he is.

I completely disagree with this statement.  I have played with too  many
wonderful musicians, who have original ideas almost every night.   Those ideas are
NOT variations on some nebulous idea that they had a few years  ago, or even
last night. I do have to say that the musicians I am thinking about  are not
necessarily traditional jazz players.
Mike Vax