[Dixielandjazz] Re: Re:West End Blues (was Out from lurking, but why??)

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 16:26:35 PDT 2005

Thank you, Bill;

I reviewed my source for the story behind "West End Blues" - Charles S.
Wilson in the Notes On The Music for the Time-Life Giants Of Jazz Series on
Louis Armstrong. Wilson quotes from an interview with Earl Hines. Hines says
that there were many takes of "West End Blues". Mostly due to problems with
Zutty Singleton's cymbals and Columbia's recording wax. He says that they
worked for an hour and a half to 2 hours until everything was right.

By the way, if you have that Time-Life set, the "West End Blues" story is on
pages 37 & 38.

Best regards;

Stan