[Dixielandjazz] Re: Louis' creativity

johnbird at sympatico.ca johnbird at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 13 11:45:34 PDT 2005

CS Writes:
Louis didn't sustain his improvisational genius, but his core conception of fire and expressiveness was intact throughout his career, and Dizzy's appreciation of that (and ours) is warranted.
Charlie Suhor

========

Indeed. And my brother says (he got it from somewhere else) that basically everyone just has one original idea (and some less than that) and they keep repeating themselves with variations. The more I think about it, the more right I think he is. I see it in musicians, writers, painters. Reflect yourself on your favourites. Some appear to reinvent themselves because they play with people from completely different genres, but basically it's a trick. I don't think that's a bad thing, just reality. We should all be so lucky to have one original idea in our lives, and to be able to execute it like Satchmo.
Cheers,
John Bird
ukulele
Ontario