[Dixielandjazz] Frog Island Jazz Band

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Mon Jun 13 09:12:37 PDT 2005

Hello Judy

I share your admiration for the Frog Island Jazz Band. I don't know how many of our listmates not living in the UK have heard this "Classic Era" jazz band. Those who haven't heard this band should make every effort to get one of their CD's. An E-mail to the leader Rob Fullalove at:
Rob at rfullalove.freeserve.co.uk
should produce the address of "Oliver Frogge Recordings".
The CD I have "And It Don't Seem A Day Too Much" (CD OF/260103)has my favourite Johnny Dodds tune "Have Mercy" among other classics like "Georgia Swing", "Forty And Tight", "Jungle Blues".
They were the only British Band to appear at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 1980, and when they returned in 1982, the Mayor of New Orleans conferred the title of "International Honorary Citizens" upon the band. The band was also in the festival in 1986 and 1988.In fact the drummer - Chris Marchant - was so enamoured of New Orleans that he has been there about every second year since.

Cheers

Bob Smith