[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ambassador Satch (was Out from lurking, but why??)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 13 02:45:16 PDT 2005

Dear Mike,
No comment from me regarding your "controversial" comments.
There are plenty on the list more than willing to take your bait.
8>)
But the mention of Louis 'Ambassador Satch" LP/CD caught my attention.
It was  released in Oz just prior to Louis' first visit here in 1954.
(Yep! I was there.)
That LP was magnificent then.
Still is.
Steve Barbone said that it was among the best of the live recordings
available; and I am inclined to agree.
But, something which has always intrigued us here down-under.
What is that 'thing' hanging from Louis' suitcase, pictured on the cover of
the 'Ambassador Satch' LP (some CDs)?
We asked Louis on his second visit to Australia, but he just 'chuckled'
Someone, somewhere (photographer/agency), must know.
Kind regards,
Bill.