[Dixielandjazz] Do records capture greatness?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 11 19:27:35 PDT 2005

Yes, of course recordings capture greatness. But the question was are
recorded sessions as great at live sessions?

Much more complex question.

Charlie Suhor may like WBD on record in 1943 on  Commodore. And John Petters
may like the Louis Hot Sevens from the 1920s. I like them too and think they
are great(ness).

BUT . . . HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT THEY SOUNDED LIVE BACK THEN?

What can we compare the records to? :-) VBG.

I can compare the Condon Gang recorded/re-released by Mosaic on 5 CDs to
what I heard the same Condon Gang do LIVE around that same time. Guess what?
Maheu is right and he nailed it shut. It was the most exciting jazz he (and
I) ever heard and far better than what is now on Mosaic. You had to have
been there to fully appreciate that LIVE music difference.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone