[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax Vibrato + Loud Music

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sat Jun 11 16:48:23 PDT 2005

Vibrato:

I believe pronounced vibrato is a New Orleans thing.  Maybe it is French
in origin?  Listen to the vibrato French singers like Piaf used.

Loudness:

I don't see "loud" in what you quoted.  I see passion, emotion, feeling,
and joie de vive.  That "blast of super heated steam" is hot playing,
not necessarily loud playing.  To paraphrase Jelly, you can't put more
into a glass if it is full.  Oliver, I've been told wanted to be able to
hear the shuffling of dancers feet as they moved in front of the band.

Ron L