[Dixielandjazz] Geo Probert, Sopsax, Natural Gas JB

Phil Crumley pcrumley at compuserve.com
Fri Jun 10 10:40:02 PDT 2005

Recent postings have mentioned George's genius on his slow rendition of
Canal Street Blues. Way back in July, 1982, he joined NGJB in a San
Francisco recording studio and we produced an LP titled, Natural Gas Jazz
Band with the Incredible George Probert.  On that recording is a cut
featuring George and our sopsax guy, Bob Murphy, which runs over 9 minutes!
 On that same recording is a wonderful performance of George playing Eb
ocarina on Struttin' with Some BBQ.

This recording was available only on LP until two months ago when we had
CDs made of all of our old recordings.  Bob Romans recently posted, "  He
had the crowd ON THEIR FEET by the time he was through! Sure wish we had
made a recording of THAT set!!"  Bob, if you are interested in our 9 minute
version I'll give you a real good deal :.

George has guested with us at the Sacramento Jubilee for many years and for
a long time he and Bob did the two sopsax version of Canal St. but then
they both tired of it a bit.  This year George took three slow, emotional
choruses of "These Foolish Things Remind Me of You" and built them into a
smashing out chorus. Result-STANDING OVATION which lasted for minutes and
minutes.

What a wonderful talent all wrapped up with a very nice guy including a
great sense of humor.

Is this a great list or what?

Phil Crumley
Natural Gas Jazz Band