[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ken Colyer

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 09:46:18 PDT 2005

Charlie said
> Very informative summary and nice sound clips, John. I especially liked
> the mutual attentiveness of the front line's ensemble playing.

Thank you Charlie. The mutual attentiveness was due to a large degree to the
clarinettist, Dave Bailey. He listens and reacts all the time to what is
going on around him. When he works with Ken Sims, who is also a listening
musician, there are very often fireworks. Ken will play a phrase, which Dave
hears, embellishes and throws back at him. He in turn repeats the phrase and
one chases the other, gradually building the heat up to a frenzy.
Too often jazz musicians go on the stand and just blow without taking any
notice what is going on around him. Or for that matter, blow without taking
any risks.
Have a good weekend

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ