[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans 60+ years ago

Patrick Cooke amazingbass at cox.net
Fri Jun 10 07:07:50 PDT 2005

Hi Charlie.........

     Yes, I remember Sharkey in the Blue Room and Tony Almerico at the
Parisian Room, Papa Celestin at the Paddock lounge.  At the time I was one
of the 'young' players.  It was around 1947 or 48, or maybe 1949.  I was
playing with Irving Fazola  at the time, doing 3 nights a week at Tony's on
Canal Blvd., plus 2 shows a day on WTPS, and a few off nights with Sid
Davilla at Leon Prima's 500 and a couple other spots.  I played with Pete
Fountain and George Girard when they were with the Basin St. Six.  Bunny
Franks had the mumps for about 2 weeks, and I subbed for him with the group.
              The tuba was used mainly because without amplifiers, the
string bass
could not be heard....also it was too cumbersome to march with.   I also
used to play trombone, and am now trying to get my lip back,
though it was never that good to begin with.  I hope I live long enough to
get the lip back.
         Well, I have given up plaing the acoustic standup bass, mainly
because it is just too cumbersome to deal with.  Also it was designed for
bowing, which I haven't done since I played shows in Miami Beach in the
early 60's.  I now play the electric bass which was designed for picking.
Now most purists go into cardiac arrest when they just see an electric bass,
before they even hear a note.  They saw one once before and they didn't like
it, and they assume they all sound the same.  Actually the kind of strings
one uses has more of an effect on the sound than whether it has an acoustic
chamber or not.  My bass does not sound anything like the ones the rock
players use, but no matter....the 'elite' purists enjoy thinking they know
something the rest of the world doesn't.  They don't know jack.  Their
'preferences' are really prejudices.  Their attitudes are beginning to
tarnish my love for the music.
      I went to a festival in Calif last year.  It was a mainstream
festival...no trad.  There were none of the prejudices expressed or the
usual put downs I hear from the trad purists.  It was refreshing.
      Re Palm Court:  Palm court has some fine players, and a few not so
fine ones that seem to continuously show up there.  I was there a couple of
weeks ago...Lars on piano, Jim Singleton on bass, Elie on Drums, Evan
Christopher on clar, Clyde Wilson on trumpet and I don't remember the bone
player's name, but all the other players
were great.
      Got to go....I'm spending too much time on this computer!
      Pat Cooke