[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax George Probert and Canal St. Blues

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:12:26 PDT 2005

Hi All,

Art Wood writes (regarding Probert's Soprano Sax):

>Hi: I invite anyone who has an aversion to the Sop Sax to listen to George
>Probert's version of Canal St Blues on track 4 of "Firehouse Five +2"
>Dixieland
>Favorites.
>
>His solo starts out with a pianissimo plaintive cry and tells a sad
>story...no fish-horn blats here. Listen and become a convert.

As a matter of fact, at the jazz festival in Chilliwack, B.C. last month,
Probert and his sax played that very same song (Canal St. Blues) with us
(Cell Block 7). It was the second time he has done so. The first time was at
the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee a couple of years ago.

It was a "musical moment" for me which I'll remember for a long time.

In Chilliwack there was a member of the audience who came up to the band
stand while I was introducing George and talking about his recording on the
old Firehouse Five + 2 LP and he had that very same LP in his hand. He had
brought it along knowing Probert was going to be with us and he wanted to
get it autographed.

I pointed it out to George in the course of my introduction and George
yelled out "Well, hell - why don't we just play the record!"  We had a good
laugh and then we proceded to play Canal Street which once again brought
George and the band a standing "O" -

It was great fun!

Cheers,

Bill Gunter