[Dixielandjazz] Recording Engineers, Sound Out Of Bell

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Jun 9 12:04:26 PDT 2005

 Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net writes:

> Oh, come on, Bob!  A lot of it comes out the bell!   Try me: get somebody
> to blow a clarinet directly into your ear!   You are going to amend that
> "not come out the bell" statement--just as soon as your ear stops ringing!
> On recordings I lean in and out, following the holes on my clarinet to get
> them under the mike; so I'm aware of what you are saying.  But a lot of
> sound comes out the bell, as well.   You doubt me?  Try my experiment.
> But put earplugs in first.

Charlie,

No, I do not doubt you.  In fact, you are correct.  And, I knew, while I was
writing that statement, that someone would take me litterly & call me on it.
I just didn't want to take the time to explain that, of course the bell
contributes to the sound.  That is why I mentioned that on a large
instrument such as a bass sax, 2 mikes might be in order.

Best,

--Bob ringwald