[Dixielandjazz] Bechet on soprano sax

Bryce, John (CCPS) jbryce at ccboe.com
Thu Jun 9 11:26:10 PDT 2005

Actually, it is NOT harder to play a curved soprano sax in tune.  The added
curvature removes a bit of the "edge" from the soprano's timbre but does not
affect pitch.  Thus curved sopranos tend to be more mellow than straight
sopranos.  I've got a 1921 curved Buescher soprano that has the most
incredible voice of any soprano I've played.  As for playing it in tune, ask
Dave Littlefield whether my Buescher plays in tune.

"A lurker"

J. D. Bryce