[Dixielandjazz] Making friends among list mates

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Jun 9 12:07:32 PDT 2005

Shalom Jazz Fans,

I have not intended to degenerate into a lurker, but have been busy lately, some
of it even with gigs and other musical activities. Now where did I put that
#*&^$ beeper?!

Jude's question about meeting new friends and significant others on DJML struck
a chord. I think I am the only DJMLer in Israel, so we don't do many face to
face events. I see my own face often enough. But I have had the joy of meeting
numerous listmates or their friends or relatives who have visited Israel and
sought out the music scene, places to play, or just a friendly face. Likewise,
in my travels I have met many wonderful listmates, notably in Holland, Australia
and various places in the US. A few years ago I flushed out a trio of friendly
local Florida players from this list and joined them to form a jazz combo for my
nephew's bar mitzvah -- a memorable experience for me, and my family is still
talking about the great music we made. Now my daughter is getting married, and
she hired a DJ. I would disown her, but otherwise she's a good kid, so I'll have
to forgive her this time.

Just two weeks ago, my Dr. Jazz band played at Jacob's Ladder, the national folk
music festival in Israel, and at the last minute our clarinet player couldn't
make it. We couldn't find a substitute among all the many Russian clarinetists I
know. Lou Berger, a friendly washboardist from San Diego, saved our tails by
making a special effort to find a ride and get to the festival an hour before
the show so he could join us for the performance. I'm not sure if Lou is on
DJML. We were hooked up through a mutual friend. But it's the same idea. [NOTE:
Except for me and Bill Gunter, people might not think of a washboard as a viable
substitute for a clarinet. But having Lou's personality and experience and an
extra bod on stage with us -- we were billed as a 5 piece band -- helped make
the show a success.]

Now about significant others, no luck yet from DJML or anywhere else, but if
anyone knows a cute Israeli jazz lover about 40-something, I'm in the market.
It's nice if she can cook, but I can cook. The real plus would be if she can
play washboard (or clarinet).

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble