[Dixielandjazz] Bechet on soprano sax

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Thu Jun 9 10:42:49 PDT 2005

Let's not forget that Bechet played a straight soprano sax. How anybody manages to stay in tune on a bent saxophone I can't imagine. In my opinion all saxophones should be straight with suitable mechanisms for opening and closing those little round holes out of which the sound seems to leak. It probably means a deeper concert stage for the bass-saxophone and maybe a little trolley to support it, although alphorn players seem to manage.

As far as "sounding better on the clarinet" is concerned, Bechet sounded superb on both. Johnny Dodds was also a superb clarinet player, but he had trouble trying to play the alto sax.
Harry Carney could switch from the clarinet to the baritone sax, with no apparent loss in quality in either direction.

Cheers

Bob Smith