[Dixielandjazz] Ukelele virtuoso

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Wed Jun 8 18:39:55 PDT 2005

Edwards made some pretty good records in the '20s with bands led by Red
Nichols (iirc for Pathe'/Perfect) as "Cliff Edwards and His Hot
Combination."  He referred to his scatting as "effin."  (I have no idea if
that would have the same meaning as it does now.)  A number of these
recordings are on the "Red Hot Jazz" web site:
http://www.redhotjazz.com/cliffedwards.html

You can also hear Edwards'(speaking) voice in Gone with the Wind as a dying
soldier.  His face wasn't seen.  He also played a sidekick in a number of B
westerns, and now that I need to recall who the star was, my mind has gone
blank.