[Dixielandjazz] Re: OKOM

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Wed Jun 8 15:40:40 PDT 2005

John;

Welcome aboard, newbie! This mail list though its many subscribers is a font
of information about mostly older forms of jazz. If you have a question
about a musician, recording, tune, etc someone will generally have the
answer. It's also a great place to discuss various aspects of music.

OKOM represents Our Kind Of Music which some have determined to mean
Dixieland, Swing, Chicago, New Orleans, and just about any style which one
likes in jazz. The term first popped up years ago when we were trying to
sort out what everyone liked. The result: OKOM. Many have taken the term up.
Some, like me, think that it's essentially meaningless and refuse to use it.
But it's up to you to decide whether or not you'll use it.

Stan
Stan Brager