[Dixielandjazz] Re: OKOM

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Wed Jun 8 12:25:37 PDT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:42:44 -0400 <johnbird at sympatico.ca> writes:
> I know I'm going to kick myself when I get the answer, but as a total
> newby to this site and the world of Dixieland Jazz, I have to ask,
> with thanks in advance for the answer(s): What is OKOM?

"Dixieland jazz" seems like such a simple concept, it's hard to imagine
how excited some people get when they hear it (or see it on their
screens). It's fraught with both positive and negative connotations, but
it's the negative ones that cause some to avidly avoid the term. None of
the other candidates (trad, New Orleans, hot, classic, etc.) quite seem
to fit the bill, either. So in order to promote discussions of subjects
other than "what should we call it" and to avoid verbal fisticuffs, we
settled on OKOM, an acronym for Our Kind Of Music. Occassionally, you'll
see MKOM for My...

MKOM may be different from YKOM, but we have a "don't ask, don't tell"
policy here that seems to keep things (generally) running smoothly.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://timesunion.com/communities/jazz