[Dixielandjazz] Lurkers reacting.... and does size really matter:-)

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 04:01:14 PDT 2005

Cees Van Heuvel thinks he's got problems with negative reaction to postings
about Jazz in Holland just imagine being English, a singer and female on
this list:-)

Those Americans who do make it to Europe are usually surprised at the
quality of some of our bands; not something that can always be captured in
recording.

 The thing that I find irritating in the UK is that so many festivals devote
themselves to what we here  call "New Orleans" music and disdain anything
else. I love the music when it's played well but it can become very solemn
(some) musicians of the genre take themselves far too seriously.

Last year I was asked to arrange a gig with Chris Burke and Les Muscutt from
New Orleans.  I was dreading a restricted  diet of blues and gospel (Oh I
forgot to mention my 4th listy drawback, I'm an atheist) BUT we and the
audience had a wonderful time and Chris and Les knew the songs from Lee
Wiley's repertoire.  Chris reckons that jazz in New Orleans has moved on
since the days when Ken Colyer was there.

So my question is do other countries/areas have a dominant (fossilised) form
of the music?  .

As to size .... it was an allusion to Uncle Bob's strange ambition for the
list, (just imagine 500 people posting every day) and also an invitation to
some off-topic banter that will send him apoplectic:-)

Judy Eames
Kaminsky Connection
Big Bear Stompers
Aston, Oxfordshire